Culture is kind of like your company’s personality. And it’s important to recruit and hire those who are a fit for it. Doing so can help ensure your employees have:
- An easier time getting up and running – and productive
- Increased job satisfaction
- More loyalty to your company
- Feel more committed to its mission
- Produce more positive results and deliver better performance
On the other hand, hiring those who don’t blend well with the culture produces weaker quality work, less job satisfaction and can even lead to a more toxic atmosphere. This all translates into more turnover – and higher costs.
So, next time you’re hiring, how can you add culture to the mix and make sure you’re recruiting those who are a good fit for yours? Here are some tips to help you:
- Be able to clearly articulate your culture. Before you can hire for culture, you need to define yours. In other words, what are the beliefs, mission, behaviors, attitudes, and values that come together to produce your organization’s unique environment?
- Promote culture throughout the recruiting process. For instance, add a page that speaks to it on your website and talk about it in job postings. That way, you’re more likely to attract those who are a good fit.
- Don’t forget to delve into the details during an interview. That means for those candidates you’re interested in hiring, talk at length about what the company culture is like – and what they can expect from working there. If it’s not the right fit for them, they’ll often self-select out.
- Ask interview questions related to culture. For instance, ask a candidate to explain the types of working environment they thrive in best.
- Offer an office tour. During interviews, take each candidate around on a tour. Give them the opportunity to talk with key players and potential co-workers, as well as see your workplace for themselves. This will help them better assess whether your opportunity is right for them.
Assessing for cultural fit is important. In fact, a lack of it is often a key reason why employees leave. But if you don’t have the time or resources to do it during your hiring process, get help from North Houston’s expert recruiters at Kingwood Personnel. We’re committed to helping the area’s leading employers connect with talented individuals who are a great fit and can make an immediate impact. Contact us today to get started or learn more.